Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Uganda

We have been in Uganda for 4 days and I am starting to get used to it here...the smells, the sounds, the driving, the traffic!  It is an absolutely beautiful country... just a little dusty:)  The weather has been interesting and not at all what I expected.  The first day was sunny and hot, but it has rained at least briefly every day since. Saturday it even hailed...pretty hard.  Lizzy and I and one other American were the only ones who seemed to notice.  The Ugandans didn't even look up, even though I have heard that it's not common here:) 


Yesterday we were able to attend 2 church services.  We went to a Ugandan church service in the morning, which was very interesting and quite different than what we are used to.  The people there were so so nice and welcoming.  Later in the evening we visited Sojourn in Wabigalo which is run by the Morris family.  After church we had dinner with them and a friend from our church back home.  I loved talking with them and hearing about the difference they are making in the lives of so many in their community. 

I have had an opportunity to see the girls a bit every day (except yesterday).  Tomorrow I will spend the whole day with them!  It is still so hard to believe that I am here, even when I am looking at their faces and hugging them.  I am trying to soak up every second that we are together and I find myself just staring at them trying to memorize everything about their sweet faces.  It is so funny but they both remind me so much of the Ugandan equivalents of Ava and Gabi.  G, is so sweet and I can tell that she is thinking about so much.  She is getting better about feeling open enough to ask me questions.  Sweet little P is just precious and always smiling!  She is still learning english so communication is a bit harder with her but she likes to give lots of hugs, which makes up for what can't be said :) They smile and their faces just light up.

I honestly don't know how I will say goodbye. How do I do it?  Just writing this makes me tear up.  I have to let them know that even though I'm not here, I am still thinking about them every second. I want them to know that they are no longer orphans, they have a family who loves them and thinks they are so special.   Friday when I visited, I promised that I would be back on Saturday but when we didn't get there until very late, G said "I didn't think you were coming".  Those words broke my heart.  I want them to know in their hearts that I will be back for them and I pray that next time it is to bring them home.

No comments:

Post a Comment